Thursday, July 3, 2008

Shakespeare got it wrong...

The question is: Do I go get more Choco Pies or not? It might rain, and I have a headache. Is food worth it?

I think it might be.

------

Ok, well now for the real update.

It rained here in Kutchan last night and this morning, so that meant no work outside. I get up later than usual (I think it's because I shut the blinds in the other room...) and get ready. Eat some breakfast, and then clean the house. I cleaned the toliet room, vacuumed every single room, dusted everything, and then cleaned the bathroom. (It's kinda gross in there.) And yet, that took barely 3 hours. I still have another 4 to go after lunch.

I go ask Okaa-san if she wants my help with anything, and we make lunch. Well, ramen I know how to make ramen, but I think she thought I was an idiot who couldn't do that. Eat lunch, clean up, have a small break, and then go outside to pick weeds. I also helped with some firewood stacking, then picked more weeds. Yeah. Oh, joy.

And for some reason, the washing machine hates me and refuses to do my laundry.

Anyway, I go to my room after work and I have a headache. I read for a little while, get distracted by pretty Doctor Who Icons of "The Stolen Earth" and then wrench myself away to study some Japanese. I study in the restaurant until the guests come back. I go in my room again, and then Otoo-san says to get ready for dinner. We're going to some friends house. Ok, whatever, that's cool.

Okaa-san tells me on the way however that everything will be seafood. Lots and lots of RAW seafood! Oh, great. That's just wonderful. I ate it though. I ate sea urchin, some kind of sashimi that poked my mouth when I tried to swallow it, lotus flower (which is delicious!), andsome other kind of fish. I ate it all. And then they brought out this pork roast, and it was so good and tasted like home. I even ate with a fork and knife. Yummy.

Well, I find out after awhile that the host can speak French. (He owns a tea company called L'Ecipcier.) So, I asked him "Tu parle francais?" Though why I used the informal, I don't know why. My accent was pretty awesome though and for a minute I thought I could speak french! We chatted a little, and I realized how AWFUL my French was. I could listen fine, understand him perfectly well, but when it came to speaking, I ws trying but drawing a blank. And I kept answering him in Japanese! XD He would ask a question and I would say "Hai" or something like that and then just laugh at the situation. I had like three different languages in my head at one moment and it was hard! The kids were cute, young, but they just ran around like mad men (well, man and woman). I played with them a little and learned a key phrase "Kore wa doko desu ka?" (Where does this go?)

Things are going well. I'm having a nice time (despite the fish [and the shrimp had their eyes and everything!]). Anan-san cannot get over the fact that I don't eat fish. And I feel like I'm understanding more of it. Not speaking it any better, but listening and hearing more. And then, as we're going to leave, the host shows me he has a pizza oven and Anan-san says something about cooking. I shrug, because I'm sure I could make it, but it wouldn't be good, and Okaa-san just shrugs like I do and laughs at me. Because apparently, I'm no good because I can't freakin' cook. No, I don't cook. How hard of a concept is that to grasp? Apparently, one that gets you freakin' codemned here in Japan.

At this point, I'm embarassed, upset, and now getting angry. I'm trying very hard not to scream at these people sometimes. They have patience when they try to teach me a Japanese word or custom, but they have no sense of...my loneliness, of what it's like for me to be here! I'm trying to be in their shoes and respect them, but their not doing the same! I don't think they like the "western woman." I haven't complained once about eating all their stupid fish. I haven't complained about the work. I haven't whined once. And what do I get?

Nothing. Laughed at for not cooking!

GAHHH!

So the happy evening I was having and all the cool things I was going to say to everyone doesn't matter now because I'm just hurt and angry. I'll forget about it in the morning and go shopping instead (I need towels), but still...

And for those of you who don't know, Dave got a place to stay about 20 min bike ride from where I am. That makes me very happy. I think these people will be very impressed when they meet him. Maybe then they'll respect me more.

I'm cleaning their freakin' house...whatever...I'm just...over it.

I think Okaa-san is counting down the days too.

P.S. There is not enough work to do around here for 20 more days. Let alone for other WWOOFers.

No comments: