Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Does it really need saying?

This was probably the best day I've had so far, though of course, it too is laced with its own fears and uncertainties.

Woke up (yeah, you guessed it) late and began cleaning the entrance and corridor while Ka-san cleaned the bathroom and restuarant, and Slyph-san helped make breakfast. I started to vaccum, but Slyph-san said that Okaa-san said to stop because we had a guest. He was up, that much I knew because I saw him, but I guess Okaa-san didn't want the noise. So I swept instead...Anyway, eat breakfast, and then go to clean the bus a little (Slyph and Ka-san did it again later...and better), then came back and we had to reorganize the room we were in. No problem there. But it felt like only one or two people were doing the work. It was easy to get bored.

Well the three of us did various cleaning jobs around the place until lunch. Eat lunch and then Otoo-san says for me to change into wet clothes (as in, able to get wet) because we're going to clean the river. Cool, I think. I don't have to be stuck in the house. hahaha.

Unfortuently, I don't really have wet-clothes. I do have my bathing suit, and I somehow (God's work here, seriously) brought along for some unknown reason my surfing suit top. So I wore that with my Dickies men shorts. It was a good choice.

And I find out we're RAFTING and cleaning  up the river. I went Rafting! It was really cool. And Wakari-san (I believe that's her name) was really awesome. Incredibly strong too. Well, we clean up and raft and it's amazing. I did slip at one point though on rocks, and you all know me, I bruise really easily. So I have a welt on my knee, and like ten bruises in various parts of my shin and knee, along with scratches on both knees/legs. But it was totally worth it!

We get back at about 4:30, and I tell Slyph and Ka-san that I want to go to the store. Unfortuently, only two of the bikes work, so we walk. It's a long walk. A lot longer than I thought it was. We were suppossed to be back by 6:00...we got back at about 6:30. And then Otoo-san started (kind of) lecturing Slyph and Ka-san. I felt bad for them and confused...He was saying that they should have checked with him to make sure they could have free-time when they're work was done. But Okaa-san had checked their work and said we could all go out. So I was confused.

Bad thing: I spent $20 in snacks. -headdesk- This is bad. I only have about $30 left before I start dipping into my credit-card. I've decided that this is enough to last me two weeks (hopefully!) and that I will only by gifts for people from now on. Gosh. Since when have I relied this much on food?

Anyway, I was suppossed to help make dinner, and well...I only did a little, because Okaa-san had done it already, and Slyph and Ka-san were there too.

The four of us women ate together (even though I'm a "child" here still; Otoo-san had a friend over in the BBQ house). It was stingray, I believe...and I ate more squid. I didn't WANT to, but I gave myself a lot of rice and tried not to think about it. Then, this is where it goes downhill. Not that they said anything, it's just that...well, Okaa-san "likes" them more. And who wouldn't? They're not afraid to ask questions, they're not afraid to speak Japanese and I am. I'm trying, I really am, but...well, I'm a scardy cat. I'm nervous and shy and I want to please, but it's hard with Okaa-san because I want to do it right so badly.

Slyph-san noticed something and kept asking if I was alright, and I just said yes. I tried to get into their conversations, to be talkative and listening with them, but it's hard. I'm just in the background and easy to pass over. It's just...what am I suppossed to do? I'm not entirely sure about it.

So, I'm going to take a shower, eat more snacks, not hurt my knee more, and think about it.

I mean, I'm jealous of my two new friends, I'm angry at myself for not being more open and warm, and my knee hurts.

But it really was a good day! I had a lot of fun rafting! And I cannot wait to do it again! I felt so...well, productive. I mean, I just held onto the raft most of the time while they cleaned, but I did do some cleaning. I helped make Hokkaido pretty!

Interesting facts about Japan:
The trucks, when they're turning, have this stupid loud signal...and it talks.
They have more bugs than I've ever seen here.
Hirafu/Kutchan don't allow buildings to be above 6 floors.

And now I can't remember anything else...I really should start writing a list...

1 comment:

Meldon said...

I'm glad it was the best day, though at parts it sounds like you still let you beat yourself up a little much.

And listen to my little voice in your head next time you think about spending money. For example, the only gift I want from Japan is you, speaking better Japanese and looking just as beautiful as always <3