Saturday, July 5, 2008

OMGWTFBBQDOCTORWHO?!?!?!

Actually, this post has nothing to do with Doctor Who really, other than the fact that I am thoroughly upset that I have to wait an EXTRA day because London just can't keep up with Japan. Gosh. No wonder the Japanese can be snooty, they're *really* ahead of everyone else.

Anyway, today was a pretty good day. And when I mean pretty good, I mean the best I've had so far. One little hiccup and that's it.

So, woke up (late), ate breakfast, and then went outside to weed. But it wasn't just weeding! It was weeding with a hoe! Woo! It didn't go any faster, really. I still weeded the whole day and only got about half done. I even worked 95% of the time I was standing there. You just have to go really slowly since all the weeds are all mixed in with what you don't want to cut.

Anyway, do that. Lunch rolls around and we eat. Yeah. I was starving. It was Spinich Udon (Anan-san didn't know "spinach," so he started singing the Popeye the Sailorman Song. hahahaha!) and it was oishii! Delicious. I then got the nerve up and flat out said to Okaa-san "the washing machine is not washing." She nods and takes me to said machine, turns it on, hits the button to start it, and BAM it works. Ummm...yeah! I tried that at least 10 times. Seriously. It WOULD not turn on. I did nothing different! Turns out the water wasn't on. Oops.

But yeah for clean clothes that are drying now in my room!

Anyway, go back outside, and before I do, Okaa-san says to go to the store and by myself towels after work. So, I weed some more, lalala. It got really hot out and I took the ridiculous get-up I'm in off. I think I twisted my ankle at some point too, because it hurts sometimes.

Works ends, and then I go to the store. It was a pleasant bike trip there. Perfect weather really...low to mid 70s, slight wind. It was nice. Make it there, and find a glorious big fluffy GREEN towel! Ahhh! So I bought that, a smaller towel, and some face scrub. Then I go next store and splurge on snacks/sweets.

Yes, I know. I shouldn't be spending money...but...well, I've come to think of these sweets as my strength. It's my "I just ate fish and squid again, you deserve this." or "you had a rough day, eat this." I've never regarded food this way because I've always had other things distracting me. But, well, it's good food and there really isn't anything to distract me here. So, on the way back from the store (I bought a green bag too, because they don't give you bags to carry your stuff in. It's a good reusable shopping bag for life!), I decide to stop under this bridge and they have this park thing. I eat my ice-cream I bought there and just enjoy being surrounded by no one but mountains and flowers and water. It was pleasant and gorgeous.  Get back up, decide to walk rather than bike, and stop at the Seicomart (like 7 and happenings, which is a 7-11) and buy more drinks (blueberry yorgurt drink is fantastic! Orange drink...not so much Milk tea tastes like Grami's tea!). Make it back (finally- I was riding uphill AGAINST the wind) and I'm exhausted. Sit in my room, get things straightened (my sunglasses broke!) hang up my clothes, etc. Plus, I'm exhausted.

Then I get called for dinner. It was a BBQ outside with the two guests that have been here since I've been here, and -I think- some family. Two children, Chuuko and Gigi (but I don't know if that's his actual name), and I'm assuming their mother. We ate...and well, it was mostly fish. But I ate some. I did not, however, eat any squid nor did I eat the snail thing they had. Eww. No way. I drew the line at that. Luckily, they didn't ask me to eat that.

But at one point, I was getting full and I didn't really want anymore. Someone put this "tongue" thing in front of me (which is not, in fact, tongue, just some part of pig) and I said No, thank you. I didn't say that I was full though, just sat there listening to them talk. Anan-san turns to me and says that in Japanese culture, you don't do that. When someone gives you something you say yes and you eat it. He said as a student, I should try everything, even if I didn't want it. Umm..yeah, that's what I've been doing! He points to it again and asks me if I want it, I reply with a shy (and embarassed) "thank you" and eat it.

So I shut down for a little while after that. And at one point, Anan-san moved the lightbulb (with like a gazillion mosquitos surrounding it) right above me as a joke. I chuckled and with as much sarcasm as I could muster thanked him. Yeah, put the mosquitos above the foreign girl who doesn't have the immunity to the disease sometimes carried in mosquitos here! Please! Ah, yeah, I wasn't upset, because he doesn't know that and it was a joke. I just wasn't in a good mood.

But then the children came over to me and asked me to play. Well, they kind of pulled me along and then said "oni!" Which, from my Cardcaptor Sakura DVDs, I know means "monster." So we played a little game of "oni" tag kind of thing. They were adorable, and they didn't care if I ate everything, or if I was Western and American, or how hard I worked. They loved the fact that I was playing with them and willingly be "oni." And I loved it right back.

Then we took like 2151125 pictures, and then had cake (keki! the children kept saying) because it's Anan-san's birthday (and Gigi's?). Anan-san got out his wooden Japanese flute he bought a carnival because I told him earlier I played flute (I was wearing a marching band shirt). I tried to play stuff, but it's slightly different and I can't get all the notes out. But we had a blast: the two guests, Anan-san, and I. I was in a better mood too, because the children had lightened me up.

Then, Chuuko just came and sat on my lap. I mean, just hopped on! So the two guests said that I had a Japanese sister now! I laughed, but it felt nice thinking that someone at least likes me here. We had these delicious cakes for dessert, and then...the children asked to play (what sounded like) matomeat. Well, it's batometa. Or something like that. Badmition. Shuttle cock.

Anan-san, the two kids, and I went to the big back room and set up a "court." We played for a little while, and then the two guests and the children's mother came and joined us. Okaa-san did later as well.

The thing is...well, the Japanese love drinking. Especailly these two guests. And they can pretty much hold their beer. But...I think they were on the border of drunk, if not so. And the Japanese don't play beer-pong or whatever...they play badmition. Drunk.

Oh, my gosh. It was hilarious.

We had a BLAST playing. Or at least, I did. And then, it ended. I took a shower (with my new towel!) and here I am.

So, that was my day. No idea what I'll be doing tomorrow (probably weeding for half-a-day, if not the whole day- I think I don't work Sunday afternoons), other than WATCHING DOCTOR WHO!!!!

OMG!!!!

Yeah, that's right. I'm excited. But I don't know when! We'll have to see. I mean, it doesn't even air in Britain for another 5 hours. Boo. I'll start downloading it when I wake up, it should be up around that time.

Hope all is well with everyone.

P.S. The Japanese apparently don't burn because they do not have suncreen at the stores. Thanks, you Japanese, you.

Also, the police I think have caught on to me. I knew they would find me eventually. I think they had been searching for the past couple of days, but my clever disguise of worker in complete white getup through them off. I wonder who told them of my evil plan to take over the world? Luckily, the thought my hoe was not dangerous and eventually left. hahaha. That's right, police, you keep thinking that.

1 comment:

Meldon said...

What's that thing about police about, love? I don't understand.