Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Old McDonald had a farm....

Last night I found out that we had to be up by 7:00 because that was when breakfast was. We were going onto Niseko to "pick flowers" and we had to leave by 8:00ish. I got up at about 5:50 because Slyph-san's alarm went off (she's crazy), and then went back to sleep until 6:45. Have breakfast (fish...again), and get my stuff together for what I assumed was some hiking in the mountains with Otoo-san for the morning.

I got that completly and utterly wrong.

It turns out that we were farming! I mean full on at a farm picking one of the plants! And all day! I wasn't upset at all by this. It was hot, and I got burned a little on my hands and right arm, but it was a pretty nice day. It's absolutly gorgeous where we are. I mean, stunning. We saw paragliders too! It was nice being outside and not doing anything too taxing. Though my back does hurt and so do my feet.

It turns out that we're doing this every day! hahaha. I guess Okaa-san is sick of us all. She seemed very...hmm...touchy with "the duo" this morning because they were moving rather slowly. I guess there's nothing more for us to clean? I wonder if we'll have more holidays or the same. I mean, we're working from 9-4:30 with an hour break for lunch...more than WWOOFers usually do. I guess I'll just have to see!

I'm going to upload some pictures (I found out only one memory card works in my camera for some reason!) and add them to my album and maybe put some here.

Hope you are all well!

And how many people can say that they farmed in Japan? Save you know the Japanese farmers? How many people from The University of Georgia can say they farmed in Japan? Umm...one. Me. hahahaha!

By the way, the two people we're working with (well, four actually, but the two main ones) are 74 and 79 years old. Very healthy! They don't look more than 60, really. It's amazing how young all the Japanese look! Maybe fish is good for something? But, Obaa-san, the older woman, she only speaks Japanese and she walks with a hunch back. It makes sense though, because she's picking crops all day for 40 years! A lot of older Japanese people walk with a pretty serious hunch. A chriopractor would die out here.

Also, tonight we went to the friend's house again, the one with the tea company. He had about 6-7 women from his Osak branch and 2 men staying with him. They were quite funny people! I learned more Japanese, taught some English tongue twister, and had a very enjoyable night. I have to keep trying my best at Nihongo! No matter what! Gotta keep my head high!

No comments: