Sunday, July 13, 2008

Root beer float...but not really

Yesterday, again, I fell asleep before I could update about the rest of the day. So, here it is along with this morning.

After breakfast, I get to work mowing again. That's what I did all day. It was boring. I mean, it kind of always is, but for some reason, I just wanted it to be over. Ate lunch, fell asleep and didn't start work until 1:30, worked until 4:15 mowing.

I had asked Dave to come over because I wanted to show him this bridge/park thing (yeah, now you know Dave. Oh, well) in Kutchan. But, he said he couldn't come. But by that time, Slyph and KaKa had left to go to the supermarket to buy breakfast (they have a holday today....) and had asked me if I wanted to go but I said no because I was waiting for Dave.

I scramble to get my bike and ride to the market to meet them. Right as I pull up to the market, they're leaving, and so I shop alone. Only spent $5 of my remaining $13. I wonder if I'll have to pay for the mud bath/onsen today? Hmmm. That might be problomatic.

Get back, chill out until dinner, which turns out to be a BBQ! It was a lot of fun. Met Otoo-san's real daughter's husband (we've already met her) and his friend Disuke, who went to University of Kentuky and so speaks pretty fluent English. He was our translator for most of the night. I mean, I can understand the gist of what they're saying, but he would actually explain it to me.

At one point, Slyph-san refused to eat this particular shrimp because it had it's whole body attached. I ate it. Yeah, I did. And fish that Otoo-san had caught that they just fried right there on the grill. Ate it. Pig intestine. Ate it. I told her: Otoo-san told me that in Japanese culture, if someone gives you something, you say Thank you, not No. Okaa-san explained it further and looked at me and said that I've tried everything! That I've tried a whole bunch of stuff! And that she should try this.

I felt proud.

A little later, there was some meat left, and as a joke, I said to Otoo-san "Niku koko." Which literally means "Meat here." I know it sounded rude, but it was suppossed to be kind of funny. Okaa-san started laughing and said something to me that I figured was something along the lines of "that was a little disrespectful, you should say it like this." But she was laughing, not lecturing. Disuke then told me she said I sounded like a princess, and I must have looked hurt, because they both started laughing and said "Joke! Joke!"

So I figured out Okaa-san's humor! It's kind of like Mr. H's. I mean, the first time I met him, he asked Dave when he was getting rid of me. Said it for about another year and a half. If you don't know me well, I'm impeciably shy and nervous around new people, especially people that I want to please/do well for. Try that, in a foreign language, by yourself. I think I just totally missed all the jokes and stuff, and Okaa-san didn't want to say anything because she thinks I'm soft...maybe?

We helped clean up, and Okaa-san treated me the exact same as Slyph and KaKa. I felt happy. We played badmition for awhile. Then shower. Then sleep.

I woke up this morning at 6:30, intending to help make breakfast. But no one was up! Slept until 7:00, got ready, no one was up! Slept until I heard Okaa-san walking down the corridor, woke up, said good morning, she went and talked to Otoo-san, I came back to the room for ten or fifteen minutes. Get up to check to see if I should help breakfast, and there just about to eat! They shuffle about, I sit down, and say "No, it's alright" but they insist. I watch them, and then we eat. I ate seaweed. It was actually good! Didn't gag or anything!

So, now I have to go pick up the grass that I mowed yesterday. hahaa.

Hope everything is well where you are!

(The post title: I bought this drink that tastes like a root beer float, but isn't actually a root beer float!)

No comments: