Thursday, July 3, 2008

Holiday 1

So, I had a holiday today. Yeah! No work! Boo. I like doing work. It makes me feel needed, and well, makes me feel like I'm doing something.

I wanted to sleep in, but no...I did just stay in bed until about 9 o'clock. Then I cleaned my room, straightened stuff out, and went to eat breakfast. I wanted to ask Okaa-san how to do laundry, but she seemed very busy (and sick) so I didn't. Yeah, I'm a chicken. Whatever. I'll ask her before the night's over.

I did get burned on my arms yesterday. Oh, well, it's not too bad.

Then Anan-san (right as I got outside to study) asked if I wanted to go to the supermarket. Uh, duh! So, we went, and I wandered around like a tourist in the shopping mart. Everything is tiny! And pretty cheap too. They have a LOT of sweets. A couple things I recognized, most of the stuff I didn't though- sweets and otherwise. Anan-san came up behind me at one point and startled me. Then he came again and said he was going to wait in the car. I hurried up and bought my things.

I bought:
Mriji chocolate bar
Chocopies (6 in a box)
Some pastry thing (like the ones the Howcroft's get at Sams, just bigger)
Strawberry Icecream (it's in it's own little jar, with the whipped cream sticking up!)
Apple juice (tiny!)
Ramune
2 dry ice-cream things
Potato chips (!!! tiny package though)
Chocolate bite-sized things called walky walky
A "campus" small notebook to write Japanese in
Some Japanese/Chinese writing box paper (hard to explain)
And some fancy envelopes for letters to people

All for only 1630 yen! I thought that was pretty good.

After that, I ate some stuff...then went outside to study...but people came and started bbqing outside, and I didn't want to intrude. So I ate some more and came to my room. Okaa-san did see me at one point as asked me to join everyone outside. I said ok, and I ate with them. I ate...squid and shellfish and meat. They laughed when I ate the squid. It tasted...I don't really know. Like squid, I guess. Ths shellfish tasted like...fishy stuff.

It did start to rain a little, and I'm just upset it didn't rain more.

I miss rain. (Update: it rained! But not like Florida rain...)

So I'm not sure when I'm eating again (since lunch was late), or if I'm going to go outside and ride around because it still looks like it might rain. I might study more, might not. Need to shower too. That's bout it, I guess.

Nothing else really new. Sometimes I wonder if they're making fun of me, but I just try to smile. I'm living day-by-day. Can't do much more than that.

Oh, the Japanese DO look eachother in the eye when they speak. And they do ignore you at points because you don't speak the language. That might just be a human nature thing. What else about the culture? They make noises a lot when they're listening to someone speak, and they speak quickly. Then again, I guess everyone does. They also don't always bring their bowl to their face like we think they do. And there was one more thing...sitting like they do hurts!

Update: I ate squid again tonight...Ick. And the fish still tasted fishy, though I ate most of it. Anan-san also said "Americans don't eat?" point to the squid, and I said "No, they do." And he just look fonsued. And then I pointed to myself and shook my head and said "I don't..." And then he asked if I Ice Skate and to "challenge" (that's what we say when I suck at stuff) and I shook my head and smiled and said "Suki desu." It made me think of all the times at the ice rink with Kels and Allen and Patty ice skating around like idiots. I love it.

What do I miss most today?
Showers
And big, fluffy, gigantic, warm bath towels....

1 comment:

Meldon said...

Well, it sounds like you had just a wonderful holiday XD Try to relax a little more next time, eh?

About the privacy stuff, I had problems with that when Noriko was waiting for the computer in France. She'd sit right next to me and not look away from the screen as I typed. I don't care if she understood everythng I said or anything like that, it was just weird--the invasion of my private space. I'm pretty sure security/privacy guru Bruce Schneier said at some point that the concept of privacy is a nearly uniquely Western concept, but don't quote me on that.

I'm very proud of you for eating squid and so much funny stuff ^^