Sunday, June 29, 2008

This one's for you Mom


I felt very tired this morning, and I'm not sure why. I mean, I'm going to bed rather early (like 11pm) and I'm getting up at about 6:00-6:30. I guess that's too early for me. I must be getting over my jet-lag.

Well, anyway, I'm suppossed to clean up the guests room while they eat breakfast. Only problem...guests slept in! And guests made a mess! So, I hid out in various rooms, waiting for them to leave for breakfast. Finally they did, and I go in, and their stuff is everywhere! So I vaccum a little and unmake their beds. I go eat breakfast, and then go to my room and chat with Dad and Dave a little. Yeah, that was nice.

I go restock the bathroom toliet paper and wait because Anan-san wanted me outside for stuff. I thought I was mowing and chopping firewood, but instead I was picking weeds. That's why this is for you, Mom. Because as soon as I started, I somehow felt a little closer to my Mom. I know that sounds cheesy and weird, but it's true. I kept thinking how nice it would be to weed with Ma. How odd!

Anyway, both Oka-san and Anan-san leave without telling me anything. So, I weed for a little bit more but it starts to get hot outside, so I go inside and clean around a bit. Then, it's break time. Or so I thought. Oka-san comes back and I get some lunch. She then tells me that work time is from 9am-4pm. Basically, what I thought was a break, was indeed not a break.

So, I clean my stuff, go clean the bathroom a little, and then go back outside and start weeding. At this point I'm tearing up because I want them both to like me. I want to do a good job. So tomorrow, I'm going to work from 9-4, just like they said. I won't stop working until they tell me too. And I know that garden is going to take FOREVER.

So, I'm feeling bad about myself, and then I come to realize that they don't really have to like me. I mean, would they kick me out? Maybe. But they wouldn't just throw me out on the streets in the morning. Bosses don't have to like their workers. I'll do my best, and now that I know the "rules" I can follow them more closely.

After a little while (and it was getting HOT), Anan-san calls me over to help this man and him out. Turns out this man is Tanaka-san...and he's a hoot! Oh my gosh, I was laughing. He knows very little english, but he knew about alligators, and the Florida Marlins (I know, I laughed too), and San Diego, and Cuba. Oh, and Miami Beach. I helped him make "fukuri" I think it's called. We boiled it in this outside pan and then peeled it. I'm not quite sure what it is, but you do eat it.

I also chopped firewood. Anan-san and Tanaka-san showed me. I sucked...really bad. But! I did get one done. Tanaka-san was very patient; I could see him being a good teacher. He's short, funny, and has only two teeth up top. I taught Anan-san and Tanaka-san how to say "cheers" because they both had beers. Tanaka-san asked me if I wanted any. I just laughed.

After he left, Anan-san had me boil potatos. Oh! They're delicious! Tomato, the dog, also loves them, so we got along great for a little while.

Oh, the funniest thing about today was getting Anan-san to say "grilled." Because the Japanese don't have "l's" it's more like "grirred" and it sounds hi-freakin-larious. Seriously, I was in hysterics. I then said "like gorrila" (hey, it's close). And he started laughing because he was making a joke that Americans have gorilla yakatori. It was funny.

So, now my work time is over, and I'm just waiting for dinner. I can't see all that well because of the smoke in my eyes, but I feel better. I'm going to wake up tomorrow, eat breakfast, and then go outside and start weeding. And whatever they want, I'll do. From 9-4.

So, if I'm not on, which I shouldn't be, you know why. I think that's the time everyone is awake, so that's a shame. But -shrug- it happens.

Two things that  I used most today:
1. Mom's weeding skills
2. Sarah's "lets-burn-everything-in-sight" skills. hahaha. Fun times.

Update:
I have something to look forward to each day now. I'm going to go for an almost two-hour walk everyday. It'll be nice. It's gorgeous here, and taking pictures or reading outside around town will be nice. I might even clean to road a bit (pick up garbage, etc.)
I ate squid tonight. Didn't know it was in what I was eating. It was good...until I found out there was squid in it.
Then oka-san started talking to me about something, and I'm not quite sure what. But she was nervous about it, and she called me backwards. Said I disliked too many things and was in my room too much...I think. The backwards part I definitely got because she showed it to me on her dictionary thing. So that made me feel great. I'm still not sure what's she nervous about. I think someone is coming on the 7th (or did she say 2nd) so I get the feeling Dave won't be allowed here if it's someone working. But maybe it's someone staying. Who knows.
I guess I just have to try harder.

1 comment:

Barbara Gallagher said...

Ash! Well done! I loved reading your blog and I give you so much credit for taking this bold step to go to Japan and work when you don't speak the language. Yet! You'll pick it up! I suppose you will also learn how to weed eh? I have to do that myself this week and I finally have all of the tools to do it. It's backbreaking work, isn't it? Keep those blogs coming!

Aunt Barbara