Friday, June 27, 2008

So I suppose it's that time

This is going to be extremely long. Because, frankly, I have been through a lot of stuff. It's been 4 days now that I've been in Japan, and that's a lot of stuff. I may split it up into different posts for each day.

Well, let's begin!

Iichi-nichi (Day one)
Kuukou-tachi (Airports)

Dad and I get up in the morning and all I can think to myself is "Oh my gosh, I'm going to Japan. Why am I going to Japan?" Over and over. We get to LAX (which is not 2 miles away from the hotel, like their ad said) and get to the counter. Everything is going great until my Dad asks for a gate pass so he can go with me. 

The Airline refuses. They say because I'm 18, he can't go with me. So, here I am, scared out of my wits, and things are already going wrong. Well, he threw a fit and got a pass. And I'm grateful for it. I think I would've been even more terrified if I were by myself at the gate.

We say goodbye, and I get on, shaking the whole time. And my baggage fit in the compartments! That made me happy too, because I was worried it wouldn't. 

I sit down, get situated. And beside me is this guy, his name's Matt, that I saw on the elevator. So we chatted throughout the flight and what not.

The meals were INCREDIBLE. So good. And a lot of it! I'm doing alright by this point.

I watched a lot of stuff. Did some Japanese translating/studying. 4 movies, 2 tv shows, and some J-Pop music videos.

I don't sleep at all (this is important).

We land, and all I can do is squee, I am so happy. I mean, I'm in Japan! And before Dave is! That's all I keep thinking.

And then I keep thinking about all the connections I have to make and that I hope I get to Chitose airport.

So, I get through customs in about a half-hour, and get my ticket for the bus. I'm cutting it close, but I think I'm going to make it. Get on the bus, ladida. No problem.

Get to Haneda Airport, and here's where it starts getting bad. I go to one counter to get my ticket, and they say go to this other counter, that they're just baggage. I went to the other counter, and she said go to this other counter because she's just baggage. Finally make it to the counter feeling like an idiot. Get my ticket, I'm gunna make my flight.

I have not talked to my family at all since I landed, so I feel miserable. My phone refuses to work. (We find out later that is doesn't wokr in Japan!) I try to use some pay phones, but I can figure out what to do to make a call to America. I give up. By this time, I have never felt more alone in my life.

The plane starts boarding, and I follow everyone. I did check in my big hiking bag and I'm glad for it. I don't think it would've fit. I was a little worried that it might not make it, but I'm exhausted by this point, crying, and lonely. So it didn't really matter.

The flight's boring, we land. My luggage comes through fine, but I still can't figure out how the phones work. So, no calls to anyone yet.

I get my luggage, head out and look for the hotel which is in the airport...somewhere. This police then comes up to me and says he'd like to ask me some questions and will I cooperate. I try very hard not to start crying. I'm exhausted and alone. I answer his three questions and he lets me go. I try to find the hotel, the airport is dead empty. I go to a counter and she tells me (a little bit) where to go. I still can't find it. And then FINALLY, a sign for it. I stumble up. Get my key and collapse into my room. It's 10:00pm JST.

First thing I do is call my Dad. I prompetly start sobbing. (Gosh, I'm criying now just thinking about it). He calms me down, and he tells me he's going to call Ma. I take a shower and try to relax a little. It's a big room, so I felt good about that. Leave Ma a message...but I can't get on the internet. Call Dad again, and then go to sleep.

On to the next day! (above)

No comments: