Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Day 5 - Day 14? : Sleeping doesn't happen

Why have I not updated you ask? Work.

I knew Oxford was going to be a lot of work, but this is a lot of work. It's all we talk about here. It's hard to talk about anything else. Between classes you're sleeping or reading for your next class, or at dinner you're talking about how much ahead other people are, or just how many sources you're using in your next paper.

It's constant and unrelenting.

It's really nothing you'll find at school. I've been stressed before (as I usually am, actually) but this is intense for only two classes. Then again, in the space of 8 classes, we're doing a semesters worth of learning. Of course it's going to be difficult. You just don't get that til you're here.

I actually deal with stress much better than people here. They get sick and have nose bleeds and take medication. See, Mom, I'm not that bad!

So what have I been up to this past week and almost a half?

Reading, walking, sleeping when I can, eating when I can, some shopping, a mass, more reading, more reading, writing, some beer, and lots of failing Skype.

There really isn't anything much to say, other than how much I'm reading. I feel like if I can actually post everyday, it's going to be like "I read 200 pages today on Philip and Elizabeth, along with writing a paper for..." at least for another two 1/2 weeks.

The grad students don't much like us. They say we work too hard.

The weather's been steadily nice, though apparently it's supposed to rain here bad soon.

Skype sucks.

I miss lunches a lot because I sleep in.

Primark is the cheapest place to buy most anything. I'm going to look for some boots, maybe a purse, and a rainjacket! Already got some undies, and two shirts there for under 5 pounds.

Kat and I are thinking of going to Bath for a day trip on Friday or Saturday. It depends though - we may go to Dover or Brighton instead, who knows!

Also planning on going to the Chatworth House (Pemberely in the new Pride & Prejudice movie) hopefully to see a European equestrian championship there too! How awesome.

Also got tickets to see John Barrowman in concert. It's gorgeous and gay and in Doctor Who/Torchwood. It cost 32 pounds, but will be so worth it.

I have to go finish reading about 200 pages tonight before I can sleep. I should have pictures up as soon as I get some free time to have the patience to upload them!

No comments: