Sunday, March 29, 2009

Day 3: Stonehenge

I wish I could upload pictures for everyone to see! This day was probably the nicest, funniest, and beautiful day so far. How much does that mean? I have no idea - it's only day 3!

We got up (on time!) and made our way downstairs to the group to get on a charter bus to head to Salisbury, Old Sarum, and Stonehenge. After a little reading and a cat nap, we make it to Salisbury where we see a doomsday painting (very interesting, I must say) and then head out to lunch. Kat, Ande, and I try and find somewhere to eat...wander around a lot and find this nice bar and there is the other half of the group we split up from. We just took the scenic route. It was a quaint, adorable, older than our country town. I had a half-pint of a beer called "Doom Bar," which was the local brew, with my lunch, which was alright.

We had fifteen minutes to be at the Cathedral, which was this big spire that we just kept going towards. Kind of like the star at Christ's birth. Anyway, we pass the place William Golding (Princess Bride) was headmaster at and then turn slightly and BAM! There's the Cathedral. It was absolutly gorgeous. I can't even try to explain how beautiful it is because my words won't do it justice. As soon as I can, I'll upload pictures.

We're waiting outside, taking pictures and such, and it goes from almost blindingly sunny to hailing. I mean in the space of two minutes. Hailing. It was kind of hysterical. We go inside, look around, see the Magna Carta, and then head to Old Sarum.

Old Sarum was super windy! It is one of the oldest establishments (or was) in Briton. Very, very old ruins. Pretty nice to see though. And the view of Salisbury was beautiful.

Off to Stonehenge! It was a lot bigger than I thought, actually. It was very interesting to finally see, though it's kind of like Disneyland. Like "Ok, you're here!" right off the road. One minute you see sheep, the next giant rocks. It was freezing though, and since you have a hand-held audio tour in one hand and a camera in the other, my hands were frozen off. I got a lot of pictures though, I believe. Again, up when I can get them up.

Then back home, where we could have made dinner at Keble, but didn't book ahead so had to go out. Kat and I walked around a lot, got some mroe groceries, and got food from the Kabab stand. Oh, it was very good.

I concked out kind of early while reading Phillip II. I think I must've gotten like 10 hours of sleep. It was kind of nice.

1 comment:

Meldon said...

I thought history majors were of the group of people that don't fall asleep reading history?