Monday, October 19, 2009

Back at home

It's been awhile. But I was thinking over it, and I think it's worth posting here still. In case I remember something, to do some reflection.

I didn't think that China would block blogger, so that's why no updates were made from China. I did make another travel blog, but I used it rarely. I hardly had any time in China. I'm glad I went to Oxford first: it prepared me for doing nothing but work. And that's all I did.I studied probably 8 hours a day on top of 5 hours of classes. Just of Chinese. Homework, flash cards, review, vocab, grammar.

And since I've been back...forgotten most of it. Which is a shame. Though, on the bright side, I do still have all the books, so I just need to input those into anki and review them once a week. I just haven't had time to do that. My tones also improved big time. I can hear the difference clearly, and when Dave speaks, I can see the difficulty he has with it. It's interesting. China improved my ear.

As for Oxford - the sad thing is, things here have gone back to normal. As if Oxford didn't really happen, as if the friends I made weren't ever really great friends. I don't ever see Ande it seems like. I hardly see Kat. I do have class with Olivia, and I see Zach around a lot. But it's not the same. It's not at all, and I miss that. Drama and all. The tailgate reunion is coming up though in a few weeks, and I can't wait to go to that. Mrs. Bradshaw, our house mother, will be there too! That'll be so nice!

The saddest thing though is how we hardly talk to the friends we made over there. I thought I had made some great friends, great friends with the British guys. I've seen two of them, they came and visited, but I've hardly talked to any of the others. Peter ignores me it seems like, and Joe too. I thought we could be friends past Oxford, and it doesn't seem like it.

But now it's school time. Been school time for awhile, and I'm my usual super-busy self. Cut back on the extracirriculars, but research is taking up a lot of time. It's fun, just a lot.

Maybe I'll get back to this soon and try and remember specific stories to share.

No comments: